Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Ikechukwu Uzoma: Bagging A First Class Law Degree and Loving God

We are very excited to be sharing the testimony of Ikechukwu Uzoma, he was one of the only four students who had a first class in law school in a year where over 6000 students failed.

In this interview, Ikechukwu shares with us on how he gave his life to Christ and the secret to his success.   Enjoy...



How did you become a born again Christian?

I got born again during a family devotion on the  21st of August 2006. This was after I had answered to several altar calls but found myself back to my old habits. On that day, my Dad explained what it meant to be born again and the fact that my old habits may rear their ugly heads but I must subject myself to God’s word daily and my mind will begin a process of renewal till I grow beyond those habits. It worked as he said and I began a journey with God that has been the foundation for all my successes.

How does it feel to be one of only 4 law school graduates with first class in Nigeria?

I feel very honoured and favoured by God to be one of the four students that graduated with First Class Honours out of a class of over 6000 students. I have been overwhelmed by the result since October 15, 2014 when it was published because I know my efforts wouldn’t have earned me that result. I feel so blessed by God and I believe it is a privilege to be singled out by grace. I remain very grateful to God!

Did you read more than the rest? What stood you out?


I believe strongly that there is time for everything under the sun. The wisdom to work circumspectly to manage time is a skill every student must build in order to have good success. I studied hard and also found some time to have reasonable rest but I don’t think it was my studying or resting that stood me out. This position is founded on the fact that I know people who managed their time better than I did but didn’t end up as successful as I did.

I believe I stood out because of the training I had received from home and church on how to be led by God and how to involve God in every endeavour of mine. God led me all through my law school experience. Before I got into school, I had some words that God had laid in my heart that guided my life in school. These words affected the way I managed my time, the calibre of friends I kept, the way I studied and the decisions I made. I believe these stood me out.

Can you share some of your success principles with our viewers all over the world?


These principles are presented to suit the context of a school environment but can also inspire success in other fields.

1.Every student may develop a goal and build a system to support the attainment of that goal.

This implies that every student should determine what result he or she desires to make before the academic session or semester begins. After that, it is wise to develop a system that will help the achievement of that goal.

The system should focus on time management, studying schedules, feedback mechanism, mock tests etc. A well-structured system should be flexible to allow for unforeseen occurrences but will require diligence and faithfulness. I developed a system for my law school programme. The Holy Spirit inspired it.

2. Divorce business from pleasure.

This means that every student must take his academics seriously and consciously do away with distractions and unnecessary responsibilities that could affect the academic processes. If it is possible, avoid intimate relationships, business, and uncontrolled leisure during your academic pursuit. Students must learn to the principle of delayed gratification. Academic success requires huge sacrifice.

3.Be committed and not merely involved.

Students must be fully committed to their academic programme. Attend all lectures, do all assignments, commit time to research, engage ex-students to learn from their experiences, invest in acquiring all necessary materials and above all, let God know how much you desire to succeed academically through communion with Him. Be deliberately committed to your academics and allow the process impact on your life.


What are your favourite bible verses and how did that help you to make a first class?


My favorite Bible Verse is Judges 14:14. It says “out of the eater has come something to eat and out of the strong has come something sweet”. This scripture always inspires me to see every challenge as an opportunity for a glorious exploit. When I got into the law school, I didn’t allow any circumstance sway me. I was insistent on my resolve that nothing was impossible with God and that the more difficult it appears the more glorious the outcome will be. So, while on the surface the programme appeared difficult, I was determined to see the sweetness that God was set to bring into my life thorough it. And it came to pass!


During my law school experience, Proverbs 4:18 was also another scripture that motivated and inspired me. Proverbs 4:18 is the favorite scripture of my Pastor, Rev. Biodun Fatioyinbo of the Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA). The scripture says that “the path of the just is like the shining sun, that shines ever brighter unto the prefect day”. I declared this scripture severally and even inscribed it on one of my shirts!

Who are your mentors?

My mentors are Hon. Justice Onyejkachi Otisi (Justice of the Court of Appeal), Dr. Chidi Odinkalu (Chairman, National Human Rights Commission) and Prof. Vincent Anibuogu (Director, Institute for National Transformation).

Is there a special woman in your life? Tell us about her

My mother is the special woman in my life at the moment. She is a nurse and is very committed to the work of Intercession in Nigeria under Intercessors for Nigeria.

Advice for students in law school who are believing God and working hard for a first class


Trust in the lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths” (Prov 3:5-6). That’s my advice.

2 comments:

  1. AM PROUD OF YOU SIR.... YOU HAVE ALWAYS PROVEN YOUR TEACHINGS. YOU ARE A TRUE DISCIPLE OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST AND A FIGURE YOUNG PEOPLE LIKE ME AND US SHOULD EMULATE. GOD BLESS YOUR DREAMS AND CONTINUE TO UPHOLD YOU IN HIS HANDS. YOU SHALL FULFILL DESTINY IN JESUS NAME AMEN. by NA HIM (LWCC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your success story is a huge source of encouragement to me. I read it over and over when it looks like the workload is too much. I know I'm coming out victorious too from the Nigerian Law School. Thank you for inspiring lives with your life and the word of God.

    ReplyDelete